Civic leaders have firmly defended their involvement in events tomark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
A pressure group campaigning for the abolition of the monarchyhas attacked councils which are organising tributes from streetparties to monuments to celebrate the Queen's 60th anniversary.
Bath and North East Somerset Council is involved in the freePicnic in the Park party which will take place in Royal VictoriaPark on June 5.
The Pounds 80,000 event will feature performances by BathPhilharmonia and Abba tribute act Bjorn Again, and follows thesuccess of a similar celebration for last year's royal wedding. Thecampaign group Republic has canvassed councils across the country tofind out what they are planning for the royal milestone and saysmost are steering clear of extra spending on celebrations. B&NESsays most of the costs of laying on the '70s-themed park event willbe paid for by sponsorship.
City mayor Councillor Bryan Chalker (Con, Lambridge), who is thecouncil's member champion for historic environment and heritage,defended the council's involvement.
He said: "The feel-good factor related to our royal family istremendous across the globe. We have got to look at what the royalfamily did last year; there was a huge feel-good factor and that iswhat this will do."
Mr Chalker added: "I am old enough to remember just how importantthe royal family was during World War Two. We are incrediblyfortunate."
Republic spokesman Graham Smith said: "The vast majority ofcouncils have made the right decision in not spending taxpayers'money on unnecessary jubilee events. They should be congratulatedfor resisting pressure from the Palace and reflecting the mood ofthe nation, most of whom are not remotely interested in the jubilee.
"Those councillors that have committed public money to mark thejubilee should be ashamed of themselves.
"How can they justify these unnecessary and unwanted projectswhen public services are being cut and jobs lost? It's morally andeconomically indefensible and their local residents would be rightto feel angry about this waste of limited public funds."
Should the council be organising Queen's Diamond Jubilee events?"I think jubilee celebrations are great. We are lucky to have theQueen - it gives us a sense of nationality."
David Edwards, 74, Oldfield Park "I'm a royalist so I enjoy allthese events, so as long as they don't overdo it, I'll becelebrating."
June Morgan, 64, Oldfield Park "It's easy to say money should bespent elsewhere but it never will be, so we may as well celebratethis event."
Alan Morgan, 67, Oldfield Park "There are more important thingsto be done. The pavements in Bath are a state and the drainagesystem is appalling."
Kerry Lansdown, 31, Whiteway "It's a waste of money. There aremore things to spend money on which local people would benefitfrom."
Graham Day, 65, Quarry Rock Gardens, Claverton Down

Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий